Best Buys for Scoliosis Surgery Recovery
While the road to recovery after your scoliosis surgery is filled with ups and downs, there are some items that might make recovery easier for you. Below you'll find some tips about how to prepare and hear from kids and teens who have had surgery!
10 BEST BUYS
1. Grippy slippers/socks - The hospital will provide grippy socks, but many people do not find them to be very comfortable. To be prepared, buy yourself a comfy pair ahead of time.
2. Button-up pajamas/shirts - It will be hard to lift your arms to put on a regular shirt after surgery. Button up pajamas and shirts will make it easier for your to dress yourself or for your helper to dress you.
3. Zero gravity chair - Zero gravity chairs recline, which may be more comfortable than a regular chair after surgery.
4. Cup with bendy straws - Eating and drinking consistently is an important part of your recovery, but it's easier said than done. Especially right after surgery, you won't want to move around too much, so bendy straws will bring your drinks to you.
5. Heating pad - A heating pad can provide some pain relief and relaxation following surgery.
6. Pillows - Pillows will be your best friend! At the beginning, you'll want to bring a pillow or two with you pretty much wherever you go. Using pillows can make sitting in chairs, car rides, and sleeping more comfortable.
7. Removable shower head - Right after surgery, you will probably need help taking a shower. A removable shower head will make it easier for you and your helper to get the job done as quickly as possibly.
8. Shower chair - A shower chair is a great idea so you can sit down instead of having to stand for the whole duration of your shower. This will also make it easier for your helper to reach your head and hair.
9. Dry shampoo - Especially right after surgery, washing your hair is probably not a top priority. Dry shampoo can prevent some greasiness and help you feel more comfortable between hair washes.
10. Bedside table - Having things close by is a must. Your mobility will be limited, especially right after surgery, so having a bedside table with all of the essentials is a great idea.
Items For At Home Post Spinal Fusion Surgery | IZZY
Listen to Caitlyn's Recommendations
Preparing Your Home
When preparing for your scoliosis surgery, it's important to prepare your home:
1. Be sure to tidy up before you leave for the hospital, so when you get home, there aren't any tripping hazards.
2. Consider the layout of your house. If you normally sleep on the second floor, perhaps consider setting up a space for you to sleep on the first floor.
3. Get the snacks ready! Especially right after you get home, you probably won't want to eat large meals because your stomach might feel a little uneasy. Having more frequent, smaller meals works better for most people.