Questions To Ask Your Orthotist
Being measured and fit with your brace can be an overwhelming experience for lots of new bracers. You may forget to ask questions or not know what to ask. We’ve got you covered! Here is a list of questions to get you started.
Brace Type and Function
- Is bracing commonly used for my curve type?
- Can you explain to me how the brace works?
- What is the goal of bracing?
- What brace design will I be fit with and why?
- What is the success rate of bracing for patients like me?
- How long does it take for the brace to be fabricated?
- When will I come back to be fit with my brace?
- About how long with the fitting appointment last?
What to Wear
- What type of undershirt do you recommend?
- What clothes do you recommend I wear on top of the brace?
Adjusting to Bracing
- Is there a break-in-schedule that I should follow to get used to my brace?
- How do I put on and take off the brace if no one is there to help?
- What should I clean my brace with?
- How often should I clean my brace?
- Can I continue my normal activities while wearing my brace?
- Do I wear my brace for PE and sports?
- What is my doctor’s x-ray protocol?
- Will x-rays be taken with or without my brace?
- How often will I need to come back for a check-up?
- How long do braces normally last?
- How do I tell if I’ve outgrown my brace?
- Will insurance cover the cost of the brace?
When you are being evaluated and fit with your brace, be honest with your orthotist. Everything is new, so there are no silly questions! Bring up any concerns that you have about wearing your scoliosis brace. This is a great time to get connect with a Scolios-us Bracing Mentor. Our mentors know exactly what you’re going through and can help answer many of the questions you have about wearing a brace.